Thursday, September 09, 2010

Late summer means tomatoes

On the last Sunday in August, Sandhill Organics lets share holders pick their own tomatoes.  Walking the fields and picking out my own fruit reminds me of all of the weekends we spent picking fruit in the orchards and vineyards around our home in Tempe, Arizona, when I was a child.  It is also an opportunity to spend some time on the farm that provides my produce year after year.  This year, I went by myself and brought back a bushel of heirloom tomatoes and large red slicers.


In addition to fruit and vegetables, there are more animals on the farm than there have been in the past.  I spent some time watching the chickens.  It always amazes me how many different colors and types of feathers there are on the different types of domestic chickens.  I watched the pigs too.  It was a hot day and this pig looked like it was having a wonderful time trying to keep cool.


We have been eating tomato salad, home made salsa, and BLTs for the past week and a half and no one is bored.

No comments:

Post a Comment