Sunday, November 30, 2008

Arrowhead Stitch

Here is a sample of my experiments with arrowhead stitch. Looking through my needlework books, I found that there are a number of stitches that are called arrowhead stitch. In this sampler, I have stuck with just those that had no other name. There are several variations of stitch size and orientation here as well as two distinct kinds of arrowhead stitches. One is used as a linear decorative band, the other is a stand alone embellishment that is described as a decoration in fine tailored garments. The samples are stitched using Crescent Colors cotton floss in three colors and Mill Hill beads on an even weave linen.

I also finished my inchies and am ready to send them off to swap. I used Ultrasuede scraps for the backing and sewed it on using nylon filament thread. They are exactly 1" on each side and look very small.

Monday, November 24, 2008

Elements inchies

I have been looking at stitching blogs and web sites over the past few days which has inspired me to do some more creative stitching of my own. (It could also be the monotony of rows of monochromatic satin stitch motifs at the bottom of Anne Depauw that is motivating me to be creative.) This evening, I sat down and made a set of inchies that represent the four elements: Earth, Air, Fire and Water.

All four are stitched in Crescent Colors cotton floss on 28 count linen using Algerian Eyelet variations. They will be included in the Cyberstitchers Inchie exchange.

Even though I have not been able to keep up with Sharon B's Take it Further Challenge this year, I love looking at her blog and admiring her energy and creativity. The idea of a stitchalong to experiment with different stitches started on her blog at the beginning of the summer, it is Take a Stitch Tuesday working at your own pace. I started with the first sitch, Algerian eyelet, and experimented with different variations of stitch alignment, color and size in this set of inchies.

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Glad Tidings

I have been stitching again and finished Glad Tidings this weekend. The pattern is from Sampler and Antique Needlework Quarterly. It is stitched in silk on lambswool linen. I like the colors and the flam stitched bottom band. It will be a nice addition to my holiday decorations once I get it finished or framed.

It seems right to feature a holiday finish during the first snow of the year. The big flakes are actually sticking to the ground tonight, bringing an early winter. The dogs are really excited -- they love to go wrestle in the snow.